Requirements When Selling a Property in the City of Los Angeles – Report of Residential Property Records

1) Certificate of Compliance for Water Conservation Retrofit, Department of Water and Power:

A Certificate of Compliance has to be completed and signed during escrow by:

1) A Licensed Retrofit Inspector, Licensed Contractor, and/or a Licensed Real Estate Agent

2) The Buyer

3) The Seller

This certificate states that the property is in compliance with the City of Los Angeles ordinances regarding low-flow toilets and shower heads (water conservation measures). The completed Certificate of Compliance is filed with the Department of Water and Power (D.W.P.) at closing, along with a $15.00 fee, which is typically paid by the seller but can be paid by any party in the transaction.

2) Report of Residential Property Records (formerly known as a 9A report):

This report is required and issued by the City of Los Angeles, Department of Building and Safety (L.A.D.B.S.).The purpose of the report is to inform buyers of any potential and/or pending special assessments to the property, such as plans for new sewers or sidewalks, which the City of Los Angeles may be planning. Building and Safety have added other items to this report, as a way to make sure properties are in compliance with various minimum code requirements, at the time ownership is transferred. An application (typically completed by the seller) must be completed, including declarations that the property is or will be brought to compliance with the particular requirements of the City. This application is then sent to building and safety with a fee of $70.20, and the City then provides the Report. The report will include copies of permits issued on the property, and a report of pending assessments.

Here are the items covered by the Residential Property Report (9A):

1. Smoke Detectors

2. Water Conservation Retrofit (which is a duplication of the DWP requirements above)

3. Impact Hazard Glazing on sliding glass and shower doors.

4. Seismic Gas Shut-Off Valves

5. Oak Tree Compliance (for properties over 1 acre)

6. Specific Requirements where bars are on the windows of sleeping rooms

7. Apartments of three or more units must have security lighting and locks

Follow Me

Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.